Monday, January 7, 2013

Gangnam Style in Bonneville

       Back in Bonneville! After a lovely two week break chez moi in Englishland, I've returned to France, with skis, more winter gear, and chocolate covered raisins galore for my teachers. I have vowed to buy all food I share now, post potluck fiasco.
        The dreary-eyed first day back at school turned out to be a delight. I forgot how much I liked being the most popular person in the 3rd grade class. They were all taught how to say "Happy New Year" and every class at every school sweetly cried the greeting at me the minute I entered the classrooms. In my first class, I attempted to teach "The 12 Days of Christmas" which did not quite out as Christmas Sampler-y as I'd hoped. Singing about partridges is not a nine year old's idea of fun. Singing and dancing "Gangnam Style", however, is. After dutifully singing my song, they asked if they could do their own. Enter Psy's masterpiece, which had 25 nine year olds doing the dance and belting out the lyrics. They told me that they spend all of break practicing. We had several minutes left in class, so I thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to teach an English song. I started teaching the song and, of course, quickly got to the word "sexy". I think I explained that it meant funny. Their poor future spouses.
         In more minute, yet no less entertaining class news, I was invited to a Beyonce concert in Miami by an eight year old, who "might" be going in two years with his sister. And, in another class, a student shoved a pencil case in my hands to ask what it said. It read "take me", in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment