Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Preteen Parents

          One of our topics for the week is the family. We've started with flashcards as usual. As I mentioned before, I'm enjoying coloring in my flashcards. The lack of racial diversity in ESL flashcard-land is appalling. Luckily, my students have a wide array of coloring utensils. So I've been coloring all my people to represent all races. This worked well, until we were playing "Who's missing?" and I realized that Grandma is a sallow greenish brown. Unhealthy and unappealing. Our game of "Guess Who?" similarly suffered from my bizarre color selections. I first made the board far too small. I enlarged it on the copy machine (I'm becoming a copy machine guru!) and then taped it all together...on the front side...meaning all those along the Scotch-Tape line are half-white and half-black. The class of blond children I had this morning were confused.
          A similar misstep occurred when I decided to change the words to "We are Family!". "We are family. I've got all my sisters and me!" works fabulously for practicing family member vocabulary. Except that I've been teaching "daughter" and "son" and not "sister" and "brother". Meaning, of course, that seven year olds are now blissfully singing "I've got my son and me!" #englishteacheroftheyear!

No comments:

Post a Comment