Sunday, April 14, 2013

Bordeaux Bliss

     Ah, the bourgeoise bliss of drinking Bordeaux, in Bordeaux. Such was my weekend! Lively Bordeaux encouraged leisurely verbage in me this weekend: eat, drink, and shop...
     As can only be expected, Bordeaux is cork full of wine bars and Kat and I were determined to wet our palettes. Our favorite wine bars were Maison du Vin and Vinset. Luckily, Bordeaux's world class wine connoisseurs are also very patient. I'd ask for a recommendation, they'd ask what kind of wines I liked, I'd attempt to say something remotely connoisseur-esque, cut myself off mid-ramble, and ask for whatever they'd recommend. This un-planned plan worked brillantly. I tasted some amazing wines. My favorites were Campeador (which is apparently from Spain - I didn't know that as I was trying it though!), Medoc Chateau l'Argenteyre, and Chateau la Tulipe Bordeaux Superieur (my favorite!).
      I was introduced to the best little cafe. It's called Karl and it sits in a gorgeous square in Bordeaux. Without even realizing it, I walked past it three times in the past two days. Each time, either the chocolatery pastries or cheese and meat platters lured me in. After my third visit, two waiters told me (separately) that they'd see me tomorrow. I promise I indulged my palette at loads of Bordeaux-ian cafes and restaurants! We especially enjoyed ambling through the Marche des Capucins and sampled cheeses and meats and pastries galore.
      And I went shopping. At my new favorite store, Lily Blake, where I got one pair of fabulous pants and twenty outfit ideas from the fabulous owner. Also, I snagged some sparkly shoes from one of the countless bordelaise shoe shops. Bordeaux boutique-ing is a real treat. The vintage shops are also amazing.
      And, as usual, I had a major French faux pas. I met Kat at Maison du Vin one night and we meet several other young people. One guy said that he had just been "licencié". I responded, "Oh wow! That's fantastic! You must be so proud of yourself!" My smile was met with a look of sheer confusion. He informed me that I had just congratulated him on being laid off. To be fair, "licencié" is a complete "faux amis" and certainly sounds like "licensed". I tried to salvage the situation: "I'm sure this will be a positive opportunity for you - now you've got some experience and more direction so you can find the perfect job!" Again, I should not have opened my "bouche" because, apparently, this was his ideal job and was perfect in every way. L'awkward.
      Bordeaux wasn't all frivolity for me! The Musee d'Acquitaine is a true gem (#eleanorwouldbeproud). I learned all about the history of Acquitaine from antiquity to today. Particularly interesting was the exposition on the triangular slave trade in Bordeaux; harrowing but fascinating. I appreciated getting to see a French presentation on slavery.
      The weekend ended too soon and I had a train back to Bonneville. Although I sound like I'm a crazy train lady, I've been particularly excited about the nine hour train ride I took to come back. I think only my Dad shares this dorky affinity for trains. I am, however, am interested in trains because I can stretch out, not knock over twelve people clambering for the toilette. This was no disappointment. I crossed the entirity of France, from coast to mountains. I read two books and picnicked along views of the wine country, the Mediterranean, and the Alps!
      Bordeaux, from its shops to its squares, proved the perfect way to end my time in France. I had the best weekend!
L'eglise Saint Louis
Les rues de Bordeaux




Kat avec son pain au chocolat
Finalement le soleil! 

1 comment: