Monday, April 15, 2013

So long, farewell, adieu!

        It's the "dernière semaine" of classes in Bonneville! Our last class starts, as usual, with a tongue twister. Today, of course, it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". The kids have it mastered!
        After our warm-up, we learn Bob Marley's "One Love", because French kids and their English assistant love reggae... and attempting to sing. They've memorized the chorus! 
        We're ending the session with an English classroom favorite, "Heads Up, Seven Up". I explain the rules in English and then we clarify in French. Today, I was going over the need to lower one's thumb if selected when the class burst out laughing. I was confused, thinking I was properly explaining everything - mind you, this was the third time I'd explained the game today. I was not. Instead of saying "lower your thumb", I was saying "*&$@ your thumb". And I was saying it in front of nine year olds, who had to explain to me what I was saying, their giggles complemented with some classy hand gestures. We then took a good three minutes to practice my pronunciation. "BC BC BC BC BC" is now forever engrained in my memory and I will never utter "BEZ-ey" again.
         Finally, we eat! I am making all my classes brownies and giving them the recipe in English, along with my email and a goodbye note as a farewell! I cheated, I am using a package mix. I cannot find the right cocoa powder...and I realized that without a spatula, a big mixing bowl, or a mixer, making 400 brownies would be difficult. I already have to (get to) make my own chocolate chips by stomping on chocolate bars. I wanted my brownies to be an edible labor of love so I'm cheating but the kids love them!
         It was a fabulous first day of a sad set of last days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment