Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Le Pire Potluck

          You don't wear the band's teeshirt to their concert, you don't cheer for the opposing team at the Giants game, and you try really hard to bring a delicious, un-French dish to a French potluck. Unless you're me.
          Last night, I attended the film selection committee meeting. The committee picks all the films for the monthly movie night in Bonneville. I had no idea choosing a film would be so difficult - they have to pick films that address particular subjects, are a particular length, and are French, which is oh-so-much harder than you would think. This is because the committee is made up of retired teachers who deliberate a lot about which movie to pick. The meeting was an entertaining learning experience for me!
           Then came the potluck. I was nervous about what to bring. I obviously decided to steer clear of French food, so I was going to do something Mexican, meaning I'd have to make my own chips, salsa, and guacamole. Except the tortillas sold here aren't great and I could not seem to make good chips out of them. I hate Celcius ovens. Anyways, I remembered that Mom always make a delicious melon and prosciutto dish. I went to store and could not find melons. I finally found one melon, the name of which was written in Cantonese. I bought it, and lots of prosciutto. I merrily returned home and started making my dish. I began cutting my melon. It was a pomelo. It had not occurred to me or that when making a dish for the first time, one should ensure one is purchasing the correct ingredients (particularly when said dish only has two ingredients). It had also not occurred to me that it is winter, and there aren't melons in winter. I panicked and decided to make the disgusting dish anyways because, I thought, maybe someone will like it, and I didn't have time to go to the store...
         The dish was a disaster. I was delighted to notice it wasn't brought out for dinner. I hoped it was forgotten. I must have accidentally told the hostess it was for dessert. I cringed as it was brought out and decided to honest about "experimenting". Everyone politely tasted it. And uncomfortably swallowed. And remarked on how odd it was in the US that this meat/fruit dish was served for dessert. Its awfulness was only accentuated by the delicious food the other women made. Le tragedie.

No comments:

Post a Comment