Thursday, December 13, 2012

Santa's Helpers

          Santa has himself a little crew of French elves. We wrote letters to Santa Claus today. After I explained "naughty" versus "nice", a fight ensured as to who had been naughty and who had been nice. One girl stood on top of her chair and started pointing at her classmates, outing them for all the naughty things they had done. These included being clumsy and dropping pens. Not heinous crimes in my book, but the students all think one another should be getting coal.
          I had to judiciously avoid the topic of whether Santa was real or not. It brought me back to being six and asking Mom outside the car at the Flower Market whether Santa was real and she told me no, but not to tell Brendan or Cate (yes, it was that harrowing of an experience that I vividly remember it!). I'm very curious as to what the French children think of Pere Noel and when they stop believing, but I got the impression, festively enough, that some of them still believe! This was mostly because one kid reported that he had actually been to Finland, seen the elves working, and written down Santa's address. But he wouldn't share it.
         Joyeux noel!

No comments:

Post a Comment