Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sampling My Way through a Snowy Sunday


         It's snowing in Savoie! We spent this snowflakey Sunday in Annecy at Marchés de Noël. Annecy hosts two markets all December long! Booths were full of food and wine and jewelry and clothes and set up like wee Swiss chalets.
         The vendors were very generous (think Costco on Sundays) with their samples. In appreciation of such generosity, and the busyness of the markets, I mastered the "I am looking intently at your products so you think I am deciding which one to buy, but really I am angling towards your second plate of samples in anticipation of that third plate over there that I've just spotted, as I'm casually elbowing this older man out of my greedy hands' way before said older gentleman snags the biggest piece of cheese" look. I also figured out that, "Can take this on an airplane? I want to bring back French treats for my family at Christmas," landed me loads of mileage and larger, cut-fresh-just-for-me fresh samples. In addition to the delicious sausage hot dog I actually paid for for lunch, I sampled Nougat de Montelimar with #speculoos, about seven different cheeses, cranberry/lemon/ginger/apricot bread, baguettes, Italian chocolates, macaroons, raclette and prosciutto, and several other goodies that I now can't even recall after my day of (glorious) gluttony.
          My favorite snowy treat, however, was the mulled wine. Here's a recipe: Ina Garten's Probably Authentic, and in Definitely English, Mulled Wine. (I will be happy to make this for you at Christmas.)         After the markets, we went to a Christmas concert at the Cathedrale, which was full of my favorite demographic - the over-60 set - and was fabulous.
Me at the Marche!

No comments:

Post a Comment