Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Chamoni(x)

          Kat, Laura, et moi popped off to Chamonix this week. Having a world-renowned ski resort a mere 45 minute train away is quite the life. Chamonix looks like the Olympic Village at Squaw but a truly posh version of it. Example: there is a Chanel boutique. My photos turned out horribly so here is a stolen one:

Chamoni(x)
         When we arrived at the hostel, we had one of those semi-awkward, owner is clearly British, but we are in France so do we speak French or English conversations...which ended up being in everyone's favorite Franglish. Chamonix is clearly the most international of endroits we've toured thus far. All the waiters spoke English and I think I heard more English than French. Makes me grateful we usually get to practice so much French!
          We spend the afternoon meandering. One of my teachers came up to meet us and we had drinks with her - love speaking French with someone who is bilingual. I bombarded the poor girl with "Can I say this...does that make sense...how do I pronounce" - she merited her mulled wine! Can't wait to come back and ski!
          Parentheses explanation: In Haute-Savoie, if you are chic, you don't pronounce the "x" in Chamonix. You'd say "cham-on-ee" while Parisians would say "cham-on-eeks". Remember that when you come visit me on a fabulous ski holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment