Monday, November 12, 2012

I thought London Bridge was Falling Down

           I'll start with explaining my corny title. As I have oft-lamented, I am terrified of heights. In London, I decided I would try for the umpteenth fois to master heights. By crossing the Millennium Bridge by myself. I started off confidently. But when I made a wheelchair swerve because I refused to budge from my straight path along the stones and narrowly avoided knocking a child's camera off the edge and into the sparking clean Thames (sarcasm aside, the number of trash barges collecting waste in the river is incredible!), I decided to stop feigning bravery. In order to avoid fatalities, I am going to maintain my no-more-than-two-feet-above-ground stance.
           Anywoo, I was in London! I invited myself to stay with Sarah (college best friend who has admitted numerous times that she does not read my blog) for a week!
           Highlights included seeing the Christmas windows at Harrods, afternoon tea at the Wolseley, ambling around Notting Hill, the Tate Modern, the National Portrait Gallery, and drinks with Sarah's work friends!
Christmas windows at Harrods!
Notting Hill
           We attempted to stalk the Made in Chelsea stars at Bluebird. I almost gave myself whiplash every time I thought I spotted one of the stars. If you don't know what Made in Chelsea is, please don't look it up because you'll judge me. Suffice it to say that it is a British TV programme about young, wealthy socialites in London (but if you love shows like this, tell me and we can gossip about it!).
           We also saw Argo, the new Ben Affleck movie. Although I felt terribly culturally uniformed throughout the film, it was excellent. Its plotline progresses swiftly and it was truly exhilarating to watch. On a lighter (not calorie-wise) note, British theaters have both sweet and salty popcorn. Sarah ordered us a large bag, salty on top, sweet on bottom - clearly she goes to movies a lot.
          London was fabulously fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment