Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hitting All the Wrong Notes

           Kat and I had a busy week. We started off with choir on Monday night...or rather, she had choir, and I had a prime standing spot in the back of the soprano group where I learned how to say lip sync in French (le playback). She has a solo and she is fantastic! I tried to reposition myself so as to be associated with her melodious voice, but got the raised eyebrow sending me scurrying back to the very back.
            On Tuesday, I had JumpFit. My jump rope abilities are marginally improving, thanks to the very direct advice from the 8 year olds I've been practicing with at recess. The music the instructor plays is great - I recommended 8tracks.com to him and I hear he's been using it!
            Wednesday has turned into movie night. This week, we watched "Les Intouchables" or, "The Untouchables". It gets all the rotten tomatoes. Truly superb film. It's touching without being sappy and has a dynamic plot line. Watch it in French with subtitles!
            Kat and I attended a talk on the state of the economy in France, with a particular focus on the debt crisis. I'll blissfully pretend I could coherently explain the lecturers' thesis...
            Friday, we went to a big ole French bar in the mountains with Kat's teacher and her work colleagues. An eighties cover band was playing and I loved it.
            Encouraged by my attempts at singing on Friday, I went to our choir's concert on Saturday. Kat had a solo and I thought I would attend, post it in the back as usual, and sing softly. I went to get my sash when the choir directly worriedly asked me if I was planning to sing. I explained my plan. She grimaced. I joked that I could just do "playback" and she didn't laugh. I got out my camera and said I'd just take pictures. And then she smiled. I clearly looked like a choir reject, too, because I matched them in all black. I am not taking their hints nor getting discouraged...it's back to choir on Monday! The town hall was hosting the show and it was an arts, crafts, and music affair. Complete with regional champagne and cheese platters. We went to a cute resto in Bonneville afterwards and then watched "Les Petits Mouchoirs" - another great film. It's so helpful to have subtitles because I find myself learning new vocabulary and figuring out proper pronunciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment