Friday, October 5, 2012

Vin-ready

             Today was Friday, or “vendredi” hence my lame rhyme, and I visited my third school, L’Ecole des Iles, which sits right along the river. It’s a charming school because it’s newly renovated and has grass and playgrounds galore, but also because the teachers are amazing. The only glitch occurred when I got locked in the school. It has hedges and gates enclosing it and I didn’t want to seem like an idiot on my first day, so I attempted to climb over the hedge, but was unfortunately wearing harem pants, which got stuck, hoping no one had seen me. Looking like a trespasser I walked back through the mud and all the way around the school, peering into windows to look for teachers and getting lost in the hedges yet again, until I found the preschool entrance. The preschool teachers had seen me attempt to hop the fence and told me to always go out the front – as if I hadn’t realized that by now. Luckily, I will not be teaching their kids. Our third roommate arrived today! Kat is from London and has my dream accent. She is lovely and has spent the summer in Ghana working at a women’s empowerment non-profit. She’s here in France and picked this region for the skiing, so now I have a coach along with my newly stolen skiis from Sarah. I just have to cross out Sarah’s name on her skiis, replace it with my self-appointed French name, which I daily alternate between Margaret and Marguerite, and I’m set. Laura, Kat, and I spent the weekend tooling around the house and the town including an accidental walk along the highway and trek uphill through mud (my fault) in search of the supermarket, where I bought only wine and a notebook. There was a sale, so it was obviously worth it, especially since now I know where the McDonalds is.

No comments:

Post a Comment